August 21, 2009

come and knock on my door.

I've deleted this post. 
1.) I'm not ready to handle people's comments without a proper face to face discussion so as not to be misunderstood on either side. 
2.) I think the internal conflict I was trying to convey might have been missed. 
Instead I'll simply post the passage and truth we seek for our family, marriage and household. 


A reading from the book of Romans:
9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
~peace.

1 comment:

Jonalisa said...

Jill, hi friend. :) i really appreciate your your compassionate heart that shines through as you wrestle with these questions.

my first thoughts when reading this were 1)welcome to "hood" life and 2)practical justice (the book).

1) While Im sure your neighborhood is not exactly like South L.A., many people here can relate to living in fear. The difference is that people here have just become accustomed to not being able to be outside at night in their neighborhood or ducking from gun shots or fear of the police or fear of not having what they need. It sucks. These issues of safety are the things that one can avoid (somewhat) by living in suburbua.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think sometimes in certain christian circles, we idealize what "displacement" (I dont know if thats what you and zach would consider youe living situation) will be like without recognizing the reality that people are broken and honestly a lot of "people in need" have learned to manipulate people and systems as a result of their situations. (I would probably be mad if someone else said that but I feel like I can from personal experience.)

2) I thought of practical justice because so much of what Kevin Blue says in that book is that serving others often goes against what our fear-based culture might tell us to do...like giving someone a ride or letting someone into your home.

These are just my thoughts and Im definitely not an expert at all. If i were in your shoes, Im sure I would probabaly feel the same way.

Love you much.

quotes.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ~ mlk